Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Bear

I was thinking of a time when I and Taylor were delivering some Conductor Pipe on a location up Parachute Creek.  I could not help it I had to laugh out loud just thinking about that time. 

I got the call on a weekend that the Bucket Rig was going to need their pipe on Monday.  Knowing I would be busy in the yard Monday I asked Taylor if he would like to ride up with me to deliver the pipe that Saturday.  I think he was excited to go, he takes after me and won’t pass up an opportunity to have a good bull session.

We headed to the yard and loaded it, chained it down really well; to get to the location we had a really steep twisty road to go up, it was about three fourths the way up the side of Logan Mountain.  We were finally ready to go, we stopped at the store got us a soda and candy bar.  As soon as we got off the pavement we only had about a quarter mile before we started up the steep road.

As we were headed up the mountain I had to go slow but I did not mind it gave me a chance to visit with Taylor; I worked a lot of hours and did not get many opportunities like this.  We could not run the air conditioner fearing the old dodge would overheat.  We could smell the smell of the mountain over the dust.  We talked about many things but the conversation turned to bears.  He asked me if I thought there were bears around.  I told him I figured there were bears all over the mountain.  I proceeded to tell him about the bears getting into the man camps.   Witch was not too far from the location we were going to.  We talked about how we might even see one if we kept our eyes peeled.   I could see he was a little nervous so I poured it on.

We finally pulled on location we were in the shadow of the mountain it was nice and cool.  I told Taylor we needed to just sit there a minute and let the old dodge cool down we continued talking about the bears.  It was not to long the truck had cooled down so I shut it off.  It was so peas full there was only the sound of the little creek below us and a slight breeze blowing through the trees.  We figured we had better get the pipe unloaded it would not take long we would just roll it off onto the ground.  I headed to the back of the trailer, Taylor stayed up to the front.

Being the Gentleman I was I waited until I got out of the truck and to the back of the trailer to relieve some gas that had been building up since the bottom of the hill?  It was a good FART quite long and loud.  I did not think too much about it until Taylor in a low voice asked me (dad did you hear that I think it might be a bear.)  I wanted to play along but I could not hold it in I laughed till my belly hurt.  I am not sure he seen the humor in it.  He did start laughing and making fun of his old dad for sounding like a BEAR. 

We had a good time.  I wish I could have had a lot more of them times with my boys but I will cherish the memories and times I did have.  I also hope there will be many more to come maybe we might see a real bear and not just hot air.

No comments:

Post a Comment