Saturday, January 25, 2014

My Grandma Stubbs


My Grandma Stubbs I really love her and miss her.  My Grandma was an amazing person.  She was pretty blunt she did not sugar coat things she was able to tell it the way it was in a loving but effective way.  I asked her for advice often in my teen years.  I always knew I was getting a strait up answer. 

I do remember a time when I was young I was riding my bike and stubbed my big toe.  It was when they were building the new home just south of the old home.  My toe was hurt and I went to Grandma looking for sympathy and loves but what I got was tough love.  I showed her my toe she asked me to let her see it.  So I lifted my foot up to her she grabbed my half torn off toenail and gave it a yank.  I was in shock I wanted her to baby me and tell me how bad she felt for me.  At the time I did not appreciate what she had done.  As I got older I really appreciated her not babying me.  She knew that was the only way to make it better.  She also knew I needed to toughen up.

Another time I had went to Saint George with Grandpa and Grandma to help moves some stuff back to Vernal.  We loaded up the van and Car the car was a bigger car I cannot remember what make.  Grandpa drove the van I was going to drive the car.  Grandma rode with me we had some good talks.  I was falling way behind, the car did not have much power every hill slowed it way down.  I put the Cruz control on and man that old car came alive it started gaining speed and not slowing down.  It did not take to long for Grandma to tell me we better not use that.  After a while she dozed off I thought she was sound to sleep so I set the Cruz figuring I would just use it to catch up to Grandpa.  I still don’t know how she knew.  She told me she was serious and if I wanted to drive I had better behave.  She had a way of letting me know.

My Dad was not a drinker but one Christmas Eve he had a few drinks at his work Christmas party.  He got really sick.  I remember Mom was pretty upset I think Dad just wanted to die.  He was in the bathroom all night and Christmas Morning.  Grandpa and Grandma came over Christmas morning I remember her asking where Dad was I can’t remember exactly what Mom told her.  All I remember is Grandma marching right into the bathroom and giving Dad a lecture I am sure he has never forgot.  Steven and I thought it was kind of funny Grandma lecturing Dad.  I was pretty young so this is how I remember it.

I loved my Grandma dearly when she passed away I was going down to see them.  Mom caught me just before I left and told me she had passed away.  I ended up not going down since they were going to have the funeral in Vernal.  After Mom had told me I did not cry I guess it really did not sink in for quite a while.  I was walking around outside by myself when it finally hit me she was gone I would never see her again.  I was pretty upset Mom must have sensed something because she found me and gave me some loves.  This helped but I still was hurting I went off by myself.  This is when I felt Grandmas presents around me I knew then that she was not gone completely.  I still feel her presents often mostly when I am starting to make a bad choices.
I had never seen my Dad, Grandpa or uncles cry until Grandmas Funeral.  I know they all loved her so much.  She was such a great wife, mother, Grandma.  I know she loved her family and she had a strong testimony of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment