Monday, March 17, 2014

Gold Feever Back Gold That Is


Have you ever wondered what it was like during the gold rush years?  I have often thought about it from watching old westerns to the new programs about gold.  But today I think I might have realized how it might have been back in them days of GOLD FEEVER.

I am up here in Williston North Dakota I can’t load until tomorrow so I am doing the people watching thing.  I have seen I am pretty sure every nationality and race comes in and out of the loves truck stop.  Some are friendly others grumpy and others that just don’t care.  I have seen men and women the one thing they all have in common is they are wearing warm close. 

I think I have seen every make of vehicle Dodge, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, Nissan, and so on.  Then there is the trucks it is amazing there is so much of a variety old, new, water, trash, flatbeds, gas, box vans, reefers, step decks, lowboys, hot oil, cement, them are just the ones I am looking at right now.  I have seen trucks that I don’t even know what they are used for.  I have seen 10 wheelers, 18 wheelers, 22 wheelers, 26 wheelers, 30 wheelers, just in the last few minutes.

Everyone is busy in and out of the truck stop all day right now is the slowest I have seen since last night when I got here. I can just imagine it was like this at the trading post around the gold fields.  I would imagine there were people of every walk of life trying to make their fortune.  Unlike today everyone is trying to make a living on the black gold.  I think it is probably better today at least if you are willing to work you can make a pretty good wage.  Of course finding a place to stay might be something else. 

Well there is my take on North Dakota.  I cannot wait to get loaded and get out of here.    

1 comment: