Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Power Of The Spirit


I wanted to share an experience that someone special shared with me.  I will try to tell it like I heard it.

This took place in a prison setting.  As it was being described to me I was picturing the Alcatraz prison that I had seen on TV, rows of cells stacked three or four high on both sides of a commons area with four or more inmates to each cell.  He said it was total mayhem inmates beating on things, wanting to kill each other and foul language, and racial slurs being yelled from cell to cell.  He told me it was worse than anything he had ever seen on TV.

He said he was trying to read the Book of Mormon as he would read a verse he could not remember what he had read the noise and chaos was too much he could not concentrate.  He kneeled down and prayed to Heavenly Father for help; just a moment of silence. Just a minute or two later the prayer was answered.  In all the commotion a black man in the middle of the cell block started singing gospel music.  He said it was like a breeze of silence blew through.  It was as if the prison went quite from one end to the other as they listen to the hymns.  He said this lasted for several hours.

He was able to read and ponder the Book of Mormon.  He told me he knew it was the Spirit that came through the prison. 

This experience really touched my heart.  I am so thankful for the people in my life that help strengthen my testimony.  The Spirit can touch all of us regardless of our circumstances.          

No comments:

Post a Comment